Q: What are the key features to look for in a crib?
- Greenguard certification
- Low VOC
- JPMA Certification
- Solid-wood construction
- Safety Compliance.
Q: I heard certain crib features are considered unsafe? What do I need to know about crib safety?
A: The most important crib safety features to look for (Aside from the certifications listed above) are:
- Good fit with your mattress: No more than two fingers-width between mattress and crib.
- No drop-sides (Though these were banned in the U.S. several years ago and should be impossible to find new).
- Sturdy construction that passes or exceeds all industry guidelines for weight bearing.
- Don’t place any extra material inside your crib with your baby: No blankets, no pillows, no stuffed animals, no padding/bumpers.
- Use a firm mattress, preferably one that is also low VOC and Greenguard certified.
- The idea is to limit as much as possible any cracks or crevices in which your infant could wedge their face.
Q: What does a 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 crib mean?
A: 3 in 1 cribs convert from a crib to a toddler bed, and finally to a day bed, while a 4 in 1 crib converts from crib to toddler bed to day bed to a full size bed.
Q: What is a Greenguard certification? How does it relate to cribs?
Q: Does it matter what mattress I use for my crib?
A: Yes! Crib mattresses are very important and can also vary widely in safety and VOC content.
Best Baby Cribs Of 2017.
We hope you found the quick answers section informative. Without further ado here is our list of the best baby cribs of 2017.
Best Overall Crib.
DaVinci Meadow 4 in 1.
The Meadow is a magnificent crib. It’s regal headboard and curved front wall command attention. The solid New Zealand Pine construction sets it apart from lesser cribs that are made of particle board or MDF.
The fit and finish on this crib are outstanding, although there are mixed reports of them being damaged in transit (Which obviously entitles you to a refund, but is a hassle).
As with all DaVinci cribs, the Meadow is Greenguard Gold certified and tested for over 10,000 chemicals and over 360 VOCs to ensure maximum safety for your child.
The Meadow is also built to exceed or meet all ASTM international and U.S. CPSC safety standards.
A 4 in 1 crib, the Meadow converts from crib to toddler bed to day bed to full size bed.
As an added bonus the Meadow includes the conversion kit for the toddler bed, a feature many cribs sell separately.
- Regal, commanding look.
- Greengaurd Gold certification.
- Excellent construction.
- Includes Toddler conversion kit.
- Built from solid, sustainable New Zealand Pine.
- meets or exceeds ASTM international and U.S. CPSC safety standards.
- A bit bulky, edges are pointy so eventually it could become a “owy” causer.
- Solid back panel is made from Greenguard certified MDF which is good, but still has higher chemical content than solid wood.
- Solid front base makes under-crib access more difficult.
Best Vintage Crib.
DaVinci Lind Stationary.
As with all DaVinci cribs the Lind crib is Greenguard Gold certified and meets or exceeds ASTM international and U.S. CPSC safety standards.
You will feel the difference with an all-wood crib made from sustainable New Zealand pine and no MDF or particle board.
As a 3 in 1 crib, the Lind has multiple heights for your baby as well as conversion capability to a toddler bed and a day bed.
- Vintage Look.
- Greenguard certified.
- Caster wheels for moving around room.
- Sustainable Construction.
- Exceeds safety requirements.
- Vintage look not for everyone.
- White color easily scuffed or stained.
- Wheels need to be locked after moving.
Best Modern Look Crib.
This crib looks like something out of a Stanley Kubrick film. It’s modern, simple, slightly futuristic but plain.
Suffice to say we love the look of this crib. As a BabyLetto crib it features Greenguard Gold certification and VOC testing.
It’s made with solid New Zealand pine and converts from a crib to a toddler bed to a day bed.
Of course as a new BabyLetto crib the Hudson complies with or exceeds all safety specifications letting you rest easy while your little one dreams.
- Retro-Futuristic look is just rad.
- Shorter height than most cribs makes it easier to get baby in and out for shorter moms.
- Greenguard certified.
- Exceeds or reaches all safety specifications.
- Shorter height is handy for short moms but may cause issues for taller parents.
- No wheels or casters means felt sliders are a good idea for movement.
- White finish is easily scuffed or stained compared to darker finishes.
Best Budget Convertible Crib.
Dream On Me Alissa Convertible 5-in-1.
If you’re looking for an excellent crib at an excellent price, the Dream On Me Alissa is your best bet.
While it doesn’t feature a Greenguard Gold certification or the top of the line fit and finish of a DaVinci crib, the Alissa is no Wal-Mart special.
Despite not being Greengaurd certified the Alissa does meet or exceed all applicable ASTM and CPSC standards and it free of phthalates, latex, lead and BPA.
It’s also constructed from solid wood (No MDF or fiberboard) although it is not New Zealand pine.
The Alissa comes in a huge array of fun colors and finishes which make it easier to fit to your nursery and features a 5 in 1 design that converts from crib to toddler bed to day bed to full bed, with or without footboard.
- Reasonable price, good bang for your buck.
- Fun finishes make it easier to coordinate.
- Good solid wood construction for the price.
- ASTM and CSPC certified.
- Very lightweight, only 20lbs!
- Not Greenguard Certified.
- Not made from New Zealand Pine.
- Lightweight construction means less sturdy overall.
- Attractive design but lacks the “wow” factor of more expensive models.
Best Mini Crib.
Babyletto Origami Mini Crib.
For such a small crib the Origami packs in the features. Firstly it is Greenguard Gold Certified, and meets or exceeds all safety requirements.
It’s made from low VOC MDF and New Zealand Pine for maximum sustainability and safety.
The origami rolls on four caster wheels and when it’s time it all folds up neatly for portability and storage.
A unique feature of the Origami is having two mattress heights. Most mini cribs don’t have so many options.
Finally, it looks great. The Origami was made with the same attention to detail as all BabyLetto cribs and features their signature “retro-modern” aesthetic.
- Small, portable and on wheels.
- Folds up for transport and storage.
- Sleek “retro-modern” design.
- Greenguard Gold certified.
- Comes with 1″ mattress pad.
- Two mattress heights available.
- Mini cribs are not suitable as long term cribs for the home as your child will quickly outgrow it.
- Contains a small amount of MDF, though it is low emission.
- 1″ mattress pad is VERY thin and probably should be replaced with a 3rd party mattress.